- The appeal of Donald Finch II: The client had a website that dealt with diabetes and allowed individuals and their caregivers to communicate with each other regarding their illness and treatments. A small part of the website allowed individuals to get advice from physicians. The Company was sold for millions of dollars and California denied the client the ability to pay tax as if the business were classified as a qualified small business stock. The FTB caved in and dismissed the case after we filed our initial brief in the matter.
- Client granted Innocent Spouse and was relieved of almost $40,000,000 of taxes, interest, and penalties.
- Hlavacek vs. United States: The IRS assessed an additional $20,000,000 against the taxpayer contending that the taxpayer had to recognize income equal to the amount of the issue price of the debt instrument which is the face amount of the promissory note. We filed an action in the Court of Claims and the IRS conceded the case prior to judgment, thereby in essence agreeing that the Treasury Regulation was questionable at best.
- Tax Court: Client’s assessed amount was over $1,500,000. We settled for $18,000.
- In addition to handling tax audits and tax litigation, our firm also handles numerous collection matters and can properly advise the taxpayer on the best way to resolve his or her tax issues with the tax agency in question. Our firm also handles probates, estate planning and elder law matters, including Medi-Cal planning and financial Elder Abuse cases. In a recent Elder Abuse case, an elderly client was induced to sell her property for $300,000. Our firm realized that the elderly client had been taken advantage of and settled the case to $2,700,000.
- Client owed the IRS in excess of $2,000,000. We settled the case with the IRS for $400,000 through an Offer in Compromise.
- Client assessed over $1,000,000 in additional income and settled case for $0.
- Resolved taxpayer dispute with the Franchise Tax Board. The FTB proposed an assessment of $1,300,000, which was settled for $250,000.
- Our firm just won an innocent spouse case relieving a spouse of over $3,000,000 in liabilities.
- We settled a case with penalties that approached $50,000 for less than $3,000.
What Sets Us Apart?
- Over 3 Decades of Experience
- Specialist in taxation through the California Board of Legal Specialization
- Certified as a specialist in elder law through the National Association of Elder Law Attorneys